Dowel Exercises are an exercise that helps you to activate the muscles in your upper and lower back and surrounding areas.
They’re fairly quick to do and designed for people who find it difficult or uncomfortable to sit in a chair for long periods.
At the end of this article, we have included some tips on tailoring the Dowel Exercises yourself if needed. For this exercise, you will need the following item:
A dowel is a wooden stick that ranges in diameter between 4-8 inches. You can also purchase a yoga prop called the “Dowel Stick,” with wrist and shoulder loops.
This allows for greater stability and helps you maintain proper form throughout your exercises.
For this exercise, you would want to use the largest dowel possible because resistance helps build muscle and strength.
Try to get the biggest dowel you can find, as they tend to vary in sizing. If a 4inch dowel is too easy, try a 6 inch or 8 inches and so on.
This exercise can be done anywhere you have enough room to sit and stand, such as in your office or cubicle if you work at a desk job.
Table of Contents
7 Best Dowel Exercises You Should Perform
No better exercise can help you get the most out of your workout than a burpee. It’s one of the best Dowel Exercises for strengthening your core and stability.
It’s a sprint towards the ground that helps you bring that early bird mentality and ton your lower body and abdominal muscles.
If you can’t handle burpees alone, then try doing some jumping jacks before you go into them to get over the fear of falling down.
How To Do Burpee?
This is a fast exercise that does not need much explanation.
1. Start standing and squat down. If you are new, practice the motion before you actually begin.
2. Place your hands on the ground and leap up, putting all your weight into your hands and coming as close to your feet to the ground as possible.
3. There should be no pause between leaps, just a quick-moving movement that adds together to do one exercise.
4. When leaping up again, bring your knees up and ass to the ground above your hands, pushing your body back into a vertical position.
Benefits Of Burpee
1. It works both your upper and lower body.
2. It’s simple to do yet difficult to master.
3. You build up most of your fitness from this type of exercise and can tone your entire body from push-ups to squats.
4. With no pauses or rest time, it forces you to learn proper form as quickly as possible due to the pressure involved with not being able to go back and correct yourself.
The push-up is a basic but effective exercise that helps to strengthen the arm and core muscles.
It’s one of the most fundamental Dowel Exercises out there, and it’s something you should do once every few days.
Depending on your upper body strength and conditioning, you might want to adjust the amount of weight used for that push-up to be harder. This can be done by adding more dowel sticks or weights.
How To Do Push-up?
1. Start in a regular push-up position with your hands slightly wider than shoulder length apart. Your body should form a straight line from head to toe.
2. Bring your chest down to the ground and then push yourself back up into a vertical position, forming a triangle or pyramid with your body at the top of the pyramid and arms being the two points on either end of it.
3. Try not to arch your back as you push down into the ground. Keep your abdominal muscles tight to help maintain proper form.
4. It is important to note that the closer your feet are to your hands, the easier the exercise will be, but you will not do as many reps as you would if your feet were farther away.
Benefits Of Push-Up
1. As with most exercises, push-ups tone your arms and chest muscles while also working out your abdominals and back.
2. If you find yourself struggling with long periods of sitting at a computer, push-ups are a great exercise to help your posture and increase the longevity of your spine.
3. Push-ups are great for strengthening your core and stabilizing your body, as they position you in a steady position.
3. Medicine Ball Slams/ Swings
Medicine ball slams can be done anywhere at home or in the office, but I suggest having a large bag filled with them so you can switch between Dowel Exercises when needed.
A simple yet effective exercise that is useful for building up your core and stabilizing your body during the motion of the exercise.
It’s also a great exercise to do at home when you’re trying to work on a lower body workout in between medicine ball slams or while doing crunches.
How To Do Swings?
This is similar to regular swings except that you hold the medicine ball at your chest and then change actions by bringing it down over your legs and back up.
1. Start standing in a tall position with your feet shoulder length apart and knees slightly bent.
2. Bring the medicine ball up over your chest, keeping it balanced and in place at all times.
3. Swing back with your arms, lowering the ball down around your legs as low as possible without losing control of the ball or dropping it to the ground.
4. Bring the ball back up, taking into account any resistance involved with the exercise.
5. Repeat steps to complete a set of swings.
Benefits Of Swings
1. It’s one of the best Dowel Exercises for building core strength and stabilization, as well as toning your lower body muscles.
2. You can use heavier medicine balls if you want more resistance or switch between different sizes of medicine balls when you’re at home to help increase your flexibility and range of motion when performing the exercise.
4. Overhead Press
The overhead press is great for strengthening your upper body, as well as improving and toning your shoulders.
It can also be used to work out the front of your chest and upper body.
How To Do Overhead Press?
1. Start in a starting position that allows you to lift the weight above your head but not too high, or you will lose stability when lowering it down.
2. Push the weight above your head, bring it down and then push up again. There should be no pause between motions.
3. Clean it up by bringing the weight all the way down to your shoulders and then finally back to your starting position.
Benefits Of Overhead Pressing
1. It works out many different muscles in your upper body, building strength as well as toning it with weights.
2. It’s a great exercise to help increase your flexibility, strength, and endurance over time.
3. It’s a great exercise for building up shoulders and arms and the upper back areas of the body.
5. Bench Dips
Bench dips are always a great way to work out your triceps, and you can use any bench or chair about knee height for this exercise.
1. Place both feet on the bench, and then lower yourself down.
2. Bring your elbows up and stop at a point closest to 90 degrees without going past it.
3. Push back up again, bending your elbows and counting to 10 as you do so, almost like when you’re saying the alphabet song.
Benefits Of Bench Dips
1. It tones your triceps, which in turn helps your arm and shoulder health.
2. It’s a great exercise to help increase upper body strength and endurance over time.
3. As you are performing the upward motion, there is a lot of resistance, resulting in more muscles being used with this exercise than other similar ones like bench presses or chest presses.
6. Seated Push-Up
This is a great exercise that can be done at home or in the office.
1. Sit on a chair or couch with your feet planted firmly on the ground, and then start with your hands shoulder length apart and palms facing forward.
2. Lower yourself down into a push-up position, lowering your chest down to the ground, but not so much that it looks like you’re dipping as you reach for the floor, just enough so that you are resting on your chest.
3. Slowly rise back up to the starting position, repeating in order until you have completed your set of push-ups.
Benefits Of Seated Push-Ups
1. It works out your chest muscles while increasing the range of movement in your arms, shoulders, and chest muscles with weight.
2. As you lift yourself back up to the starting position, your chest moves up and down, activating the chest muscles in different parts of the exercise.
3. As you are lowering your body down into a push-up position, it is also helpful for activating the obliques and improving flexibility in the shoulders.
7. Walking Lunges
Walking lunges are a great lower body exercise that can be done anywhere at home or in the office while you’re doing something else.
How To Do Walking Lunges?
This is a great step-based exercise that works out your hip and thigh muscles, which are often forgotten when you’re doing a workout.
1. Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder length apart, and then take a large step forward with one leg.
2. Keep the weight of your body on that foot as you take the other leg forward into a lunge position, bending at the knee as the foot touches down.
3. Push back to the starting position, repeating to complete one walking lunge.
Benefits Of Walking Lunges
1. It’s a great exercise for the lower body, particularly your thighs and hips, building strength and endurance as well as toning muscles.
2. You can increase the difficulty of this exercise by stepping forward more than once during your reps or speeding up your pace if you have the energy!
When Should You Perform Dowel Exercises?
These Dowel exercises can be performed at home or in the office, as well as during your workouts. They are a great alternative to having weights at home, and they help you improve your strength and endurance on the different parts of your body.
You can perform them on your own time to improve muscle tone and endurance and decide when you want it done.
They are easy to use, lightweight and portable, so they’re perfect for taking with you whenever you’re away from home or the office.
How Much Time Should You Do Dowel Exercises?
You should do at least 10 minutes of dowel exercises before you go to bed every night.
Doing so will help build strength and endurance in your different body parts and improve your flexibility and endurance over time.
Which Parts Of The Body You Should Work Out With Dowel Exercises?
If you want to perform the dowel exercises on the whole body or specific parts, these are a great way to do it.
1. For your arms, dowel exercises are great for improving the strength of your muscles in the shoulders and chest.
2. Your legs are also a brilliant place to begin as you can focus on your back, buttocks, and thighs to increase their endurance and tone muscles with this exercise.
3. Another good place to start is your lower body, as dowel exercises are great for the thighs and hips and increase muscle endurance and tone.
The Famous “3-2-1” Technique
This is a common technique used in many different types of Dowel Exercises, but it’s also a great one you should practice in dowel exercises.
Why Should You Do Dowel Exercises?
There are many different reasons for doing a dowel exercise, but here are the most important benefits of them:
1. They are great for building strength and endurance in different areas of your body, including your arms and shoulders.
2. They help you improve your flexibility over time and improve your posture, making it easier to stand up straight all day long.
3. They are simple to use and easy to store, so you can take them with you wherever you go!
4. They are lightweight, portable, and easy to store, making them a great choice if you want to get into the habit of exercising on your own time or if you don’t have the space or money for weights at home.
5. They are cheap and affordable, so anyone can find a way to get them!
6. They are easy to use and a great way to ensure you’re getting the right amount of exercise into your daily routine!
If you are interested in learning more about dowel exercises, do a quick search online or visit your local bookstore, they will have a lot of information that you can read over and start using right away.
You can keep track of your different sets and reps by writing them down in a notebook or on a piece of paper so that you can make sure you’re getting the most out of each exercise.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to dowel exercises, there are many different ways to achieve your goals in how you want to build strength, tone, and endurance in the different areas of your body.
They are affordable and easy to use, so you have no reason not to get started today!
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media!
If you liked this page, please let us know by entering a comment below or by posting a comment on our Facebook page.